Wednesday, September 15, 2010

RED ROCK COMPLETE

Dang, it has really been a while since I have updated this thing (I wonder how many millions of posts to blogs start that way).

<--OVERVIEW-->
-12 Runners
-186 Miles
-Finished in a little over 31 hours

So my brother and I participated in the Red Rock Relay the weekend of the September 10th. It was a pretty amazing experience to say the least. I don't know what else to say about it other than that it was an experience that I would recommend for everyone. It was great to be a part of an awesome team and to work together for a common goal that required physical and mental endurance.
While it was a race which you could place in the main point was really for the charity "In Our Own Quiet Way" and for the experience itself. While I was not at all physically ready for it I am glad that I did it and wouldn't trade the experience for anything.This is a picture of the cool little cabin that we stayed at in Cedar City. It was pretty awesome. Loved the little porch swing.Here is almost all of our team right before our start time at the Brian Head ski lift which took the first runner up to the starting point.These are the first five runners of the Sun Van of our team COMPETITION 4X4. We went with a Pirate Theme... obviously.Here's Travis at the starting point for the first leg of the Sun Van's runs.Here is me about halfway through my first leg recieving some necessary hydration.Jessica and I at our exchange.Here we are enjoying some Chilies after completing our first legs of the Relay. Everyone made sure to eat well so that we would be ready to run our next legs which would start around 12:45am... except for Travis and I who ate some delicious Burgers and fries. Ha Ha.My second run was some of the best running of my life (which isn't saying much considering I have very little running experience). I ran 4.5 miles at about a 8 minute 30 second per mile pace. My group was all still in the van at the exchange (which happened at about 3:45am) because they weren't expecting me to be there so fast.. unfortunately for me, right as I was getting to the exchange my foot got caught halfway off the edge of the asphalt and I sprained my ankle pretty bad. I was unable to run my third leg of the race and therefore became the Designated Driver while we found a great substitute to take my place.By the time we got to the last legs of the race the Sun van was definitely named appropriately. It was very very hot and these last legs were the longest of the Relay, making it by far the hardest set of legs that our team encountered. This is a picture of Travis running in the final leg of the relay.As Travis closed in on the Finish Line we got our team together to cross with him.Here is Travis after he crossed the finish line in the absolutely BEAUTIFUL finishing spot for the Relay.

Definitely an amazing experience.

2 comments:

  1. I really wish Pete and I could have done this...it does look BEAUTIFUL and I bet it was such a great experience...I am pretty sad about not being there. It looked like you guys all did a great job!! I'M PROUD OF YOU!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kort! I wish you could have been there too!

    ReplyDelete